VACostCutting

Tuesday, May 09, 2006

"Indiana, let it go"

I am going to depart from my policy only restriction on this blog to comment on the events related to Will Vehrs. Feel free to comment as you wish.

One of the ways I express myself so that others understand me more clearly is to use a quote or a scene from a popular book, movie, song, event speech or whatever else is available.

In relation to the Will Vehrs episode, I just kept thinking to myself "let it go". It is not THAT big of a deal. I think Will made a mistake and told him so. He was wrong. But unlike many in our world today, he actually admitted it. BRAVO! That is a lost art. We all make mistakes. But for a guy to lose his job over a bad joke on a blog, is a bit over the top.

When I kept thinking "let it go" I was reminded of the scene in Indiana Jones where he is reaching for the Holy Grail - to repeat - THE HOLY GRAIL. It was the singular focus of his father's life and they were within inches of having it in their hands and his father, Sean Connery, gently says, "Indiana, let it go". Think about it...there you have the Holy Grail within inches and the man who has searched his whole adult life for it says "let it go". In the face of death, suddenly it was not that important. Plus, they were comforted by the fact that they found it and it actually saved Connery's character.

Honestly, if every time a state employee takes a cigarette break and says something negative about their job, vents, makes a joke will they be called out and asked to resign? How do we expect our employees to perform if we intend on overpoliticizing a blog post? It was not anonymous. It was a joke. It was wrong. The man has apologized. Let it go.

If we had spent the time that we have spent on this actually trying to solve the economic conditions of South Side Va, I think that would have been time better spent.

Will Vehrs is a smart, creative asset to state government and I think now he will be HIGHLY motivated to develop the economy of South Side. In business there is a saying, "problems are opportunities".

Those asking for his resignation should remember their own mistakes and put them into context when they realized what they had done and how truly sorry they were.

Forgive and move on....Let it go and let's work together to bring more jobs to South Side.

3 Comments:

  • Chris,

    You are absolutely right.

    By Blogger Norman Leahy, at 5/09/2006 1:34 PM  

  • I hear a lot of talk about attracting jobs to South Side, but all of the South Siders I've actually spoken with seem suspicious of those plans and express a fondness for the way things are. This makes me guess that this is by no means a homogenous group with an identical demand for economic growth. Who does want economic growth is South Side? Are there any numbers on that?

    By Blogger Lyle Solla-Yates, at 5/09/2006 2:50 PM  

  • Roll Tide,

    I understand where you are coming from but I disagree with you on this one.

    If you can point to a similar event that I have called for the resignation of anyone, then I will buy it.

    At our company, we have employees that make mistakes all the time and we try to make the best of each situation.

    In this case, Will contributes a lot to policy discussion and we should encourage more discussion from our state employees. Maybe some guidelines are in order from the executive branch to keep this from getting out of hand.

    Believe me, a lot of the hits on this blog are from state offices.

    I think Will has learned his lesson - as have we all. It is time to move on.

    By Blogger Chris Saxman, at 5/09/2006 7:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home